Tornado outbreak killed more than 15 individuals in Indiana
A tornado outbreak has been reported in central and north central Indiana, with seven confirmed tornado touchdowns so far.
Indiana State Police said approximately 15 to 20 people sustained minor injuries during the tornadoes, mostly as the result of flying debris. No deaths have been reported.
Most of those injuries were in Howard County and included one resident who was trapped in a home by one of the storms that struck Wednesday.
Capt. David Bursten said those injured included a 5-month-old child who suffered a laceration in Montgomery County. He attributed the relatively small number of injuries reported by 8 p.m. to residents’ taking the approaching storms seriously.
“We were very, very fortunate, and you have to credit the advance warnings and people heeding those warnings,” he said.
Howard County Emergency Management and the Red Cross set up a shelter for tornado victims at the Kokomo Event Center on at 1500 North Reed Road.
Police said there is widespread damage but the largest concentration of damage is in the area of 931 and State Road 22 in Kokomo, where thousands of homes and businesses are without power. A temporary state of emergency has been declared for Kokomo and Howard County.
“You wouldn’t believe all the stuff in the air. I came out and I was just in shock, trees everywhere,” said Daryl Beachy.